PLEASE NOTE: This blog contains adult subjects and content, and because of Google/Blogger's recent nonsense, I HAVE MOVED TO WORDPRESS. For my enlightened friends who wish to visit me in my new home, it's https://ericalscott.wordpress.com. Please bookmark it!

The rest of you? Please take your judge-y selves somewhere more wholesome, like here: www.wonderbread.com

Go on.... shoo!



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Kink and the City"

You may remember a couple of weeks ago when I was seeking publishing advice, I had a conversation with John Smith, author of Kink and the City: An Englishman in New York. He was generous with his time and counsel, and in return, I heartily agreed to read his book and review it here.

"Kink" is the true story of John's journey in the BDSM/spanking scene, beginning as it did for most of us with the vague stirrings and fascinations with all things spanking. At sixteen years old, he rented a room from a 30-something woman who turned out to be a professional dominatrix, and his education was begun. After years of playing in the London scene, he relocated to Manhattan, NY, and sought to find kindred spirits there. The book is a series of his adventures -- the good, the bad and the absurd.

I love this man's humor (or should I say humour?). He is dry and sarcastic, given to hyperbole, a bit sharp-tongued (reminds me of someone...). I found myself giggling frequently as I read about the "types" and situations we've all known.

"The result of this [alcohol] consumption was a set of reproductive equipment which was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike."

"[He was] A louche dullard adorned with more trinkets than an octogenarian's mantelpiece."

"I was to discover that she was to polite party talk what PeeWee Herman is to competitive bodybuilding."

(Listing what pro dommes have to put up with): "No shows, bad hygiene (and of course bad spelling), unrealistic requests, fawning, stalking, unwanted attention, last minute cancellations, whining, obsessives, wankers, sundry dickheads and of course people like me...and that's just a shortened list."

So we follow John through his various encounters, both from the top and bottom perspective, with lively descriptions (all names have been changed). His story is not one of drama and trauma, but of blunt honesty, lots of play (sometimes edgy) and the sheer excitement of discovering everything the scene has to offer.

If you'd like to read a scene book that will make you snicker, nod your head in recognition and even gasp occasionally, Kink and the City is for you.

In other news -- I received email from New Guy yesterday. Among other things, he wrote: "I saw your blog. You had better improve your attitude or you'll be in big trouble when I get back!"

Rut-roh. :-)

8 comments:

  1. Why not post your review on Amazon. That should be a big help to his sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OBB -- that's a very good idea. He already has several good reviews on there, but one more certainly wouldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very interesting, will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I've been a quiet fan of you, Erica, and a R/L fan and friend of John Smith, so this post is doubly fun for me to read. I thought you'd appreciate the humo(u)r!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lea -- yes, do!

    Pamela -- welcome! :-) Yes, anything with dry wit has instant appeal for me. I have no idea why...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erica

    Thanks for the very kind review. I'm pleased you enjoyed.

    And yes Pamela, I believe you're owed a thrashing?

    All the best

    John......

    ReplyDelete
  7. John -- hey! You're welcome. :-) Happy to help a fellow writer/kinkster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to reading your book, too, Erica! I hope to see a bit of your humor come through, even if the topic is serious. Lol, see I bet you'd have a comeback to John's *asking* me whether I'm owed a thrashing... :-)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete